All Virginia Business College students will begin community living in Holston Residence Hall. New student room requests arrive throughout the school year and are handled on a first come, first serve basis. Upperclassmen have the choice of rooms for the next year, so no assignments are made for new students before the end of the preceding semester.
If you have requested to room with a certain student, every effort will be made to honor that request. Each student will need to complete the roommate request form for consideration.
Holston Residence Hall & Commonwealth Student Center
- Study labs
- Multi-purpose room/lounge/study space
- Laundry facilities
- Utilities included
- Wireless internet
- Charging Stations
- Food and coffee self-service machines
- Health & Fitness Center
- Outdoor tennis courts
- Full Gymnasium
- Pool table
- Ping-pong table
- Music stage
- Bristol Transient Services
What to Bring
- Personal hygiene products
- Shower flip-flops
- Tote for carrying bathroom items
- Clothes for the season
- Raincoat and umbrella
- Laundry basket
- School supplies (may want to wait and see what you need for each class)
- Water bottle
- To-go mug and baggies for snacks
- Plastic or paper plates, bowls, and cups
- Cleaning supplies (room checks occur approximately once a month)
- Small vacuum or broom
- Paper towels
- Disinfectant wipes
- Sink cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Dish soap
- Sheets for a regular sized twin bed or extra long twin bed
- Comforter or blanket – you may want a throw blanket and pillows as well
- Lamp or hanging lights
- Desk items
- Storage crate
- Trashcan for room
- Extension cord/power strip
- 1 Fridge per room (4 cu.ft.); 1 microwave per room (700-watt max)
- Gym bag
- 1 student RA (Resident Assistant) per 25 students
- Residence halls are closed to the opposite sex at 11:00 p.m.
- Lobby and Kitchen are open every day until 12:00 a.m. (1:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays)
Room Personalization Guidelines
The college will furnish each room with an extra-long twin bed, 36” x 80”, window coverings (blinds), ethernet jack per resident (cord not provided), desk and chair, full-service kitchen on 1st floor, and drawer space and community restrooms.
Students must provide their own sheets, towels, and other furnishings. You may bring plants, posters, chairs, small tables, etc.
The electrical service in the rooms will allow for small appliances, such as hair dryers, electric razors, computers, stereos, TVs, and radios. You are permitted to have a small dorm-sized refrigerator (max. 4 cu. ft.) and small microwave oven (700 watts maximum) in your room, with a limit of one each per room. No indoor grills, hot plates, toasters, or open coil heating units.
Any device that is broadcasting its own wireless signal (like some printers, TVs, or routers) is not allowed.
Holston Residence Hall will be locked at all times except during open hall hours. Your room key will open the doors of your residence hall. Keys will be issued at the completion of check-in and must be returned at time of room check-out in the spring. Room keys may not be duplicated or given to other students.
Laundry facilities are located on the 1st floor of Holston Hall. All washers and dryers use special debit cards that may be purchased from the campus Bookstore. If a machine malfunctions, put an out-of-order sign on it and notify the Business Office of the machine location and nature of problem.
All residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their own room and bathroom. All trash must be taken out regularly and deposited in a college trash dumpster – never leave trash in the hall. Scheduled room inspections are held monthly by the Residence Hall Staff to ensure proper health and safety standards are being maintained throughout the residence halls. Unscheduled room inspections are held as directed by the Residence Life Staff. A minimum of one unannounced inspection will be held each semester.
Dimensions & Floor Plan